GVC Ultimate Driving School and Club Race
|Registration Closed:||September 3, 2013 10:00 PM EDT|
The Fall GVC Ultimate Driving School is our last of the season. Because we are hosting the Stan Parker Memorial Club Races this weekend, there are only two run groups available for students. Consequently, this school is not open to novice/beginner students. It is restricted to intermediate, advanced, and A-Solo drivers ONLY.
The GVC Fall UDS is a high-performance driving school. Students are divided into Advanced and Intermediate run groups according to prior experience, evaluations from previous schools (if any), and vehicle type. Each run group gets a minimum of 4 half-hour track sessions with in-car instruction each day of the school. Between track sessions, students attend lively and interactive classroom sessions appropriate for their skill level. Students also gain experience by riding with their instructors during the instructor track sessions.
This is a two-day school; no one-day registrations are accepted. However, advanced students with many years' experience who have been routinely signed-off to run solo in previous schools may register for our A-Solo program, which has three registration options:
Three-day school (Friday - Saturday - Sunday).
Two-day school (Friday - Saturday or Saturday - Sunday)
A-solo drivers are charged higher fees, but are afforded the additional benefits such as:
· Three hours of guaranteed* track time per day: A-Solo students will drive in their own run group, or together with Advanced students (depending on registrations), for 4 sessions, and are also permitted to drive in 2 of the instructor sessions. (*weather permitting)
· Friday open-track day: Friday is open track orientation day for instructors and for A-Solo students choosing either the 3-day (Fri.-Sun.) or 2-day (Fri.-Sat.) options. Special group exercises may be scheduled to hone advanced driving techniques (e.g., close-quarter, side-by-side driving in traffic).
· Group debriefing sessions: Mandatory meetings of the group and A-solo coaches take the place of traditional didactic classroom sessions, during which experiences will be shared, driving techniques discussed, compared, and critiqued, and so forth.
More details about the A-Solo program are available from the GVC chief instructor (DS-CI@gvc-bmwcca.org).
Please visit the GVC website for complete details about the school, including the A-solo program admission procedure:
Registration and Fees:
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still slots available or late cancellations (call or email the Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Advanced, intermediate and novice students: $440 (two-day school).
- A-Solo Students: $450 (two-day school), $650 (three-day school)
- Instructors: $50 (per vehicle) for Friday Orientation Day. Includes three-day garage access.
- Includes after-hours party and Ultimate Driving School event shirt
- Registration is not complete until payment has been received.
- Fees are refundable before the deadline, subject to a 10% charge to cover credit card charges.
- Alternatively, fees can be credited toward a future GVC Driving School to avoid the billing charge.
- Fees are non-refundable after the deadline unless another student is available to take the vacated slot.
The host hotel is the famous Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/), located at the upper entrance to Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These places fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Camping at the track: Because it's a club race weekend, camping is allowed at the track. Please contact Watkins Glen International to make arrangements well in advance.
Many other types of lodging can be found in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel. Camping is available at Watkins Glen State Park and at many other private campgrounds. For more information, please consult our Chapter’s website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/DrivingSchool/WGInfo.aspx