Texas Trifecta 2014
Registration closed March 19, 2014 5:00 PM on March 19, 2014 5:00 PM CDT Registration ends March 19, 2014 5:00 PM on March 19, 2014 5:00 PM CDT Registration opens January 4, 2014 2:00 AM on January 4, 2014 2:00 AM CST Registration runs from January 4, 2014 2:00 AM to March 19, 2014 5:00 PM
The Second Annual BMWCCA Texas Trifecta
Friday, March 21st – Sunday, March 23rd, 2014
Circuit of the Americas – Austin, TX
UPDATE 15 March 2014 - Registration for Students is CLOSED
Registration for Instructors and Autocross remains OPEN through Tuesday, 19 March 2014
Advanced level YELLOW (B) and Advanced+ level WHITE (A) run groups have student vacancies on Friday and Sunday.
These two upper run groups are currently accepting Waitlist registrations for Saturday
CONVERTIBLE DRIVERS - Please pay particular attention to the convertible rules below!
The Lone Star, Tejas, and Houston Chapters of the BMWCCA proudly present the second annual Texas Trifecta at the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 track in Austin, TX. This High Performance Driving School will give you the opportunity to drive your car at speed and to experience the potential of the unique combination of car and driver. It is safe, demanding and most importantly FUN! All students will alternate between classroom sessions and time on the track with an instructor. The individualized instruction is a key to this program that has been developed over decades, and compares very favorably with commercial schools costing many times more. Our experienced instructors have come from racing, autocrossing and BMWCCA schools.
The Texas Trifecta will consist of 3 major events
High Performance Driver's
Hill County Drive or Rally (TBD)
[Update 03/06/2014] - We're sorry, but this portion of the Texas Trifecta will not be occuring for the 2014
Texas Trifecta Registration Process
NOTE: All Driver and Instructor registrants MUST be active BMWCCA members, and your membership will be verified by the BMWCCA national office before your registration is complete. If your membership has lapsed, please visit www.bmwcca.org to renew BEFORE completing this event registration.
Convertibles (both soft and folding hardtop models), cars with removable tops, trucks, pickups, vans and SUVs other than the BMW X5, X3, X6 are not permitted at this Driving School. Lotus Elise and Corvettes with a targa roof are allowed, but Corvette convertibles are not. SPEC MIATAS and SPEC Boxsters are also acceptable. The specific reference can be found here under the DRIVING EVENT MINIMUM STANDARDS COMPLIANCE ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURES which begins on page 142 of the PDF file.
TIER 1 Registration: Opens Thursday, December 19th at 8:00 AM and closes on Thursday, December 26th at 11:59 PM (Midnight) CLOSED
- TIER 1 Candidates must be pre-approved by one of the 3 sponsoring chapters as someone who has participated in local DE events within the past year. TIER 1 candidates will receive a registration invitation email.
- We maintain a listing of all drivers who are TIER 1 eligible. If you do not specifically receive a TIER 1 registration email from us, and you attempt to register in TIER 1, your registration may, and most likely will be invalidated, and you may not be allowed to re-register in any subsequent TIER 2 or TIER 3 registration openings
TIER 1 Registration: steps for you to follow:
- Complete on-line registration process here at http://www.MotorsportReg.com
- Follow the payment instructions provided within your registration confirmation email within seven days.
Registration is NOT complete and we will not confirm until we have verified your TIER eligibility, received your payment and it has cleared, and you are approved by our Chief Driving Instructor (CDI).
TIER 1 Registration: communication stages from the Registrar to you:
- Upon completion of the MotorsportReg.com registration process you will receive an email from the Registrar confirming the receipt of your registration. This will start the 7 day period during which your check MUST be received by the Registrar in order to hold your place.
- During this 7 day window, the Registrar will confirm your TIER 1 eligibility and driving qualifications with the event CDI.
- Upon receipt of your check, you will receive another email from the Registrar confirming your payment and reserving your spot.
- If your desired run group has filled up, the MotorsportReg.com website will inform you of your waiting list status. If you are wait listed, please do not send payment until the Registrar informs you of an available spot.
- NOTE: Since all communication is via email, please double check your email address within your member profile in MotorsportReg.com. If your email address isn’t correct, we can’t communicate with you!
TIER 2 Registration: Opens Friday, December 27th at 8:00 AM through Friday, January 3rd at 11:59 PM CLOSED
- For all members of the 3 sponsoring BMWCCA chapters who were not on the TIER 1 eligibility list, and were already members of those chapters PRIOR TO REGISTRATION OPENING.
- TIER 2 eligible members will receive an invitation to register by email. If you did not receive an invitation, and have just joined the BMWCCA for the first time, please wait for TIER 3 to open.
- Same registration steps apply as for TIER 1 Registrations
TIER 3 Registration: CLOSED
- For all BMWCCA members from any chapter across the nation.
- Same registration steps apply as for TIER 1 and TIER 2 Registrations
TIER 1 and TIER 2 Eligibility: Drivers who are eligible for TIER 1 or TIER 2 registration will receive email invitations. These drivers are drawn from those who have supported us by participating in BMWCCA Texas Region Driving schools within the past year and members of the three Texas Region BMWCCA chapters with memberships that existed prior to the TIER 2 invitation email. General Registration for all others does not open until TIER 3. If you do not receive an invitation to register in TIER 1 or TIER 2 and you attempt to register before TIER 3 opens, your registration may, and most likely will, be invalidated.
- HPDE (Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday) - you may chose one, two or three days at $325 per day - options depend on the offerings at each tier
- TIER 1 & 2 entries/registration options will include Friday (as a single Day) for $325, or two-day packages (Friday + Saturday, or Saturday + Sunday) for $650. There is also a Friday + Sunday ($650) option that will allow you to register for the autocross on Saturday for an additional $55.
- Single-day ala carte registrations for Saturday or Sunday will not be offered until Tier 3 registration opens. WE WILL NOT reduce registrations made for SATURDAY and SUNDAY during TIER 1 or TIER 2 to single-day options as long as TIER 1 or TIER 2 registrations are open. Requests to reduce a weekend package to a single-day Saturday or single-day Sunday will not be considered until TIER 3 opens on January 4th. Please be fair to other potential drivers, DO NOT register for a SAT+SUN package during TIER 1 or TIER 2 with the intent of dropping one of the days later
- Instructor registrations are $250 for all three days of the event. We are only accepting instructors who have several years of instructing experience and prefer those with BMWCCA and/or PCA instructional experience.
- Autocross - Saturday only: $55
NOTE: If you choose to compete in the Autocross on Saturday you can NOT register for and participate in the Driving School on that same day.
Student and Instructor classing / run groups:
This event excludes NOVICE and BEGINNER students due to the high speeds and technical nature of the track. Students are assigned to one of three run groups [BLUE (C) , YELLOW (B), or WHITE (A)] commensurate with their experience. Please select the run group that you have your most recent experience in, and be sure to update your driving history in your MotorsportReg.com profile.
BLUE (C) run groups are intermediate level drivers.
YELLOW (B) drivers are considered advanced level drivers with considerably more experience than intermediate level drivers.
WHITE (A) run group is for VERY ADVANCED level drivers with significant solo experience and who have been driving in the advanced level groups for several years.
The event CDI reserves the right to review your driving history and reassign your run group based on his review of your history. Instructor supervision is required at all times while you are on the track. Helmet intercoms are used between the student and instructor to facilitate communication. We will not accept student registrations for beginner/Novice students who have never participated in / completed a previous HPDE. Intermediate level BLUE (C) drivers for this event should have completed at least 3-6 multi-day HPDEs prior to this event (6-12 days on track) and should be Intermediate Level qualified with another in-car instructed event at a minimum, but do not need to have been solo-ed. Instructors will be divided into two run groups for their sessions on the track.
Autocrosses are low-speed timed driving skill events. They reward car control and skill yet, most importantly, are fun! You don't need to be Mario Andretti and have an M3 Lightweight to do well. They consist of timed solo (i.e., you are alone on the track) laps of a twisty course laid out using traffic cones. The objective is to drive around the course without hitting any cones or missing gates. The main attraction of autocrossing is that it allows drivers to compete in a safe environment. Not only are the speeds low (under 60 miles per hour at the fastest point in a lap) but also the course is laid out such that the only obstacles are soft traffic cones.
The Autocross (AX) event will be held on Saturday March 22nd at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA). The course was designed by the internally renowned course designer Roger Johnson. Roger Johnson has designed many of the National SCCA AX courses over the years. We are happy to have him assisting the Houston BMW AX group with this event.
The course will utilize a parking area in the inner part of the track near turn 13. Once you arrive at the site we will have signs how to reach the AX paddock. You will drive under Tunnel 1 and follow the road until you reach the AX area. The AX paddock has limited space so it will be exclusively used by the AX participants. Please be mindful that we will need to accommodate all participants in this space. If you are using a trailer to transport your car you may need to offload the vehicle in the main event parking lot / paddock or another location and drive your car to the AX lot.
Autocross classifications are A-G for BMW marques including MINI Coopers, and non-BMW vehicles are classed X1-X4. You can determine your autocross classification here prior to registering on this site.
More info regarding the autocross can be found at: http://texastrifecta.com/autocross/
Garage Rentals: We are offering garage/space rentals if you are interested in having a covered garage to park your car in and keep your gear during the event. Details and garage rental reservations can be found at: http://msreg.com/Trifecta14Garages. Garage rental fees must be paid at the time of registration per the payment instructions. A single space is $75/day, or an entire garage (what ever you can fit - approx 6 cars) can be rented for $500/day.
Cancellation Details: Cancellations must be done by emailing the registrar at LSC.BMWCCA.Registrar@gmail.com. Cancellations received before the cancellation date (March 1st) will be charged $50.00 per driver. Our event policy is that there are absolutely NO refunds for cancellations requested on/after March 1st.
[Update 2/12/2014] This event is the largest we put on each year. It takes a lot of people to make this event happen and run as smoothly as it did in June of 2013. If you, or someone you know, is interested in helping us out with this event, as a volunteer, who would be excited and genuinely thankful for the assistance. We can always use help with registration, paddock and corner worker support (water and ice), info booth etc. over the three days of this event. Please watch our general information website at http://texastrifecta.com for more information. We have provided a volunteer registration site at http://msreg.com/COTAVol.